What this is all about

Being a December graduate, I have decided to keep an open schedule and mind.  I have no definite plans for at least 5 months, and even then, nothing is certain.  This is all very new for me--I've always had a set plan of what I'm doing next.  Now, although I know the general direction I am heading, I am allowing opportunities to come to me that might have otherwise been lost if I had already made plans.
Join me for the ride as I begin to Learn By Living!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

...Into the night...

I tried to sleep in. but at 9:30 I heard someone yell out breakfast. I later found out that the whole house had already eaten and the cook wanted to put the food away…After breakfast I mastered the shower. I tell you this intimate detail (yet another one…) because it could be key to any of you traveling to places where hot water is a luxury. If you are lucky enough to have a water heater where you are staying, you will most likely have a large shower head with hot and cold switch on it. The key I found was to keep the water on really low for it to get hot, which is counterintuitive to those who turn the water on high for it to be hotter. Having it on low allows the water heater to work more efficiently and giving you a warm 5 minute shower. I’m glad Ubuntu trained me well for these environmentally healthy showers.
After lunch I went to a local coffee shop recommended to me by the other language student. Baviera is near my school. There were business people on computers, language and university students. I sat in the patio, which has a running fountain filled with calililies, until the sun set. I was compiling a K’iche’ dictionary from my vocabulary words from the previous week.
Do you remember talking on the phone for hours on end with your friends in high school? Or staying up all night talking to your floor mates or friends in college? And weren’t those some of the best conversations you have ever had? Well, tonight I added one to that list. After dinner we stayed at the dinning room table talking about the differences between school in the U.S. and here, cultural expectations, politics, Guatemalan sayings and slang, and anything you can imagine. What seemed like no time at all, someone that was facing the window said “ Um, you guys…turn around” and we did. It was light outside. It was 7AM! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment